Searching for a Home?
Curb Appeal Can Be Fixed!
According to the National Association of Home Builders, the Builders Association of the Twin Cities and CNBC, the number of mortgage applications has been up and down in recent weeks. However, the number is still more than 40% higher than this time last year – meaning more people are looking for a home. Whether it’s their first or forever home, each buyer carries a list of “must-haves”, check-boxes to be ticked off as they assess each home’s amenities. Usually not every must-have is met. Choices have to be made and Southview Design recommends looking past any lackluster curb appeal.
The saying, “You never get a second chance to make a first impression” is not true for a home’s front entry. Lack of curb appeal can be overcome with a front entry update. Taking into account the home’s architectural style and the new homeowners’ wish list, landscape designers/landscape architects can create unique and inviting front entries as the following before/after pictures illustrate.
Common reasons for updating the front entry include:
- Revitalize the entry by removing old or outdated materials; adding a new door/windows, portico/structure to draw attention to the main entry
- Add outdoor living spaces in the front yard such as patios, courtyards, and porches
- A place to connect with neighbors for morning coffee, evening drinks, occasional conversations
- Provide safe access by adding walkways, stairs/landings and railings on a slope
- Add proper exterior and landscape lighting for security and safety. Lighting is usually the first thing to go if the project is over-budget but here’s some reasons why you should seriously consider lighting: outdoor lighting buying guide
- Add water features or sculptures
Need some help updating the look of your front entry? Southview Design is here – give us a call to set a complimentary appointment with a designer today!